Monday, December 15, 2008

Final Race of 2008


Yesterday’s Jingle all the Way 10k marked my 8th and final race of the year. From outward appearances, I did pretty well, finishing in 47 minutes, 59 seconds, for an average of 7 minutes, 43 seconds per mile. Not a bad way to end the year, and it certainly shows I have come a long way in my comeback from injury. Just a year ago, I couldn’t run for more than 20 seconds at a time. Yet, I was somewhat disappointed with the result; I could've done better. So what happened?
First, I was too layered. The temperature yesterday morning was chilly, about 30 degrees at the start of the race. Now in past years, I would’ve worn shorts and a long sleeved t-shirt, nothing else. Why? Because one of my big rules of running has been to dress like it’s 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature. For whatever reason, I decided to layer up yesterday, wearing long running pants, a t-shirt and then a long sleeved shirt, plus a running jacket to boot. By mile 2, I was overheating big-time, but because I had my bib pinned to my jacket, I couldn’t de-layer. Second, I was tired. Instead of relaxing the night before the race, I stressed and worried about the conditions for the race, and consequently did not sleep well and got maybe 5 hours total.

Last but not least, I was too heavy. For a year after ankle surgery, I wasn’t really able to exercise on a regular basis, and as a result I gained some weight, about 15 pounds to be exact. Most people haven’t noticed, and I don’t exactly look heavy or obese, but it does impact my running stamina. I’ve already lost 5 of those pounds, but I still need to drop another 10 before the marathon.

I’ve worked extremely hard during my comeback and it really is paying off. My fitness is improving each and every week, which is reflected in my improving race times. What’s frustrating, however, is that I’m really close to getting back to my old, pre-injury self, but I’m not quite there yet. There’s no doubt in my mind that if I had been well rested, dressed in fewer layers, and weighed less, I could’ve finished yesterday’s race in about 45 minutes. That’s the kind of time I used to clock with ease prior to injury. Some people might say that I shouldn’t be so negative, that I’ve come so far since 2007, and to take the long view. I’m probably about 90% back, but sometimes it’s the last 10%, that final push over the goal line, to borrow a term from football, that is the most difficult. Nonetheless, I’m very confident that I’ll pick-up those last few yards (unlike my pathetic Redskins yesterday against Cincinnati) and will make a big score next March at the National Marathon.

No comments: