Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me: Wimbledon, A New HD-TV, Steak Dinner, and Good Health

Birthdays are a time to celebrate. Some throw themselves a big blowout party, others take a group to dinner, and others still go on a trip or take a long weekend getaway with a significant other. I have developed my own traditions over the past 33 years: watching Wimbledon, taking a long afternoon nap, eating a steak dinner at a top shelf steakhouse, plus sometimes mixing in the occasional summer blockbuster movie, a round of mini-golf, and/or a few frames of bowling. It’s a winning formula, and those of you who know me well know I love my traditions! Yesterday, my 33rd, was no different. I watched Roger Federer dominate his quarterfinal match, I bought myself a fantastic new 37 inch Sony HDTV (March madness at my place next year), and had a thoroughly enjoyable and delicious dinner with my parents at Charlie Palmer Steak near the Capitol building in Washington, DC.

As I was eating birthday cake last night, I couldn’t help but reflect upon my situation one year ago. At that time, I was one month post-surgery and not doing well. I couldn’t walk, my right foot was so swollen and puffed up it didn’t even look human, I had pain throughout my foot and ankle, yet parts of my foot were numb to the touch. My legs were so weak from lack of use that I couldn’t even stand in the shower and had to use a shower bench, something normally reserved for the elderly, not a 32 year old marathon runner. The progress with my recovery was slow to none and the orthopedist thought this was being caused by reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), a rare nervous system disorder that is sometimes caused by the trauma of surgery. To say that this was the low point of my life would be an understatement. I never thought I would walk or run again, or live a normal pain free life for that matter.

Oh what a difference a year makes. After physical therapy three days a week for almost a year, lots of hard work, and the unwavering support of my family, friends, and colleagues at work, I’m pretty much back to normal. It turns out I didn’t have RSD, but a case of badly bruised nerves. It turns out I was able to walk again and now I’m training for a marathon, and 99% of the pain has disappeared. All in all I have pretty much made a full recovery.

Yes the new high def tv is nice, the presents are great, the well wishes from everyone is terrific and I’m grateful for people remembering my bday. AND of course the steak dinner last night was awesome.; but what I enjoyed most about yesterday was being healthy. It’s something I used to take for granted, but I now know from my own experience and from watching my friend Kate's battle with cancer, that good health is something to be cherished, to be grateful for, and never to be taken for granted.

Ok, so I don’t want to end on too serious a note, so below is my top 5 steakhouse list - would love to hear yours.

1. Sparks Steakhouse (New York City)
2. The Palm (Washington, DC)
3. Chicago Chop House (Chicago)
4. Metropolitan Grill (Seattle)
5. Charlie Palmer Steak (Washington, DC)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Last night's birthday celebration was very special -- delicious food and wonderful restaurant. But, best of all, was to see the return of the smile on Matt's face and twinkle in his eyes -- the real celebration of his recovery and good health! Matt's Mom ("Mrs. Bern").

kareebdg said...

It's great to hear you are feeling better and that your birthday rocked! Wish we could be there in person to cheer as you cross the finish line! You know, we do have a few marathons here in Oklahoma you could try, but I know start small and work your way up to the big ones. Right? :)

Unknown said...

Matt,

Before you know it, you'll be back in regular training for the big race. Last night was great -- what a restaurant!!

Dad

jadensmommy said...

Happy Birthday Matt! Loveyoumeanit, Dawn (aka Trainer Extraordiaire) My Fav Steak Houses are the Prime Rib and BLT Steak, not necessarily in that order:-)