Monday, July 28, 2008

My Recovery Team



Immediately after the surgery, I knew something was wrong. The procedure took much longer than expected and the surgeon indicated that the operation was much more complicated than he had originally anticipated. A week after surgery, my ankle and foot looked like an artificial limb – all puffed up and swollen beyond recognition in a disgusting shade of yellow (I won’t gross everyone out by posting the picture, but trust me, it’s icky). Plus, parts of my foot were numb to the touch, yet I was experiencing excruciating pain in parts of my foot that weren’t even targets of the surgery. Something as innocuous as a breeze hitting my toes caused severe pain, the likes of which I hope I never experience again.

So how did I get from deformed foot/ankle man to today? With lots of hard work and the support of my friends, family, and colleagues. However, there is a duo that deserves special recognition, my physical therapists, Anne and Jacob. These two had the unenviable task of treating me --- the king of complainers, the world class kvetcher, and the undisputed heavyweight champion of worrying.

When I started physical therapy two weeks after surgery, I couldn’t even move my foot. The swelling and pain were terrible. Before they could even begin having me do exercises, Anne and Jacob had to get the inflammation and pain under control, and did so primarily by rubbing and massaging my foot (they should get a medal just for doing that!) Gradually, we built up the rehab regime to include various stretches, leg and ankle strengthening exercises, as well as some cardio-conditioning on the stationary bike and elliptical machine.

To say that I am grateful to Anne and Jacob for all of their help would be an understatement. At the lowest point during recovery, I didn't think that I would ever walk or run again. Yet, Anne and Jacob were unwavering in their encouragement, support, and optimism and I have made a full recovery, due in large measure to their exceptional talent and skill.

Yesterday morning at Washington and Lee High School in Arlington, I went through a grueling workout at the track --- 400 meter repeats, 800 meter repeats, ankle strengthening and hip strengthening exercises, balance work, and leg strengthening. This was all done without pain, without soreness, without a limp, without even a hint of what had happened a year ago.

The benefits of physical therapy are obvious. I’m walking and running, training for a marathon, playing tennis, and taking up golf. But I also reaped another benefit, one that I never expected at the beginning of this journey --- friendship. To Anne and Jacob, for all you did to help me, and for your friendship, thank you.

POSTSCRIPT – Every Saturday I workout at the track at Washington and Lee High School under the supervision of Anne, who has agreed to be my personal trainer. She is helping me improve my fitness level and speed, and to provide guidance and strategy to avoid injury as I build up weekly mileage in preparation for the 2009 Los Angeles Marathon.

No comments: