Monday, February 2, 2009

Training Rut

I’ve hit a rut in training, something not totally unexpected, but very frustrating. I’m trying to do all my runs, but it’s quite difficult these days. First, the weather has been absolutely lousy. Over the past week here in the DC area we’ve had snow and sleet, freezing rain, and the biggest enemy of any runner, particularly me --- ice. I admit it, I have an ice phobia, and for good reason. In January of 2008, I slipped on black ice and fractured my left radial bone (left elbow). This was a particularly nasty, and painful, injury as the elbow cannot be set in a cast, nor immobilized for extended periods of time. The pain of pt for this particular injury was worse than even rehabbing my ankle. So anytime I even catch a glimpse of ice, I'm homebound.

The second impediment to training over the past couple of weeks has been a lingering sinus infection. My nose is quite stuffy, my ears ache, my sinuses kill me, and my balance is a bit off --- not exactly a recipe for going out and doing a 7-8 mile mid-week run, let alone a long training run on the weekend. I’ve probably missed about 50% of my scheduled training runs over the past two weeks.

None of this is the end of the world. My sinus infection has finally started to clear up, and the weather seems to be improving, though the forecasters are predicting snow showers tonight and possibly tomorrow, with “minimal” accumulation. My motivation, though, is a bit lacking. I’ve spent the last year getting back to my old running self, and I’m probably 75 to 80 percent there…the last bit shouldn’t be that hard. My fitness level has dramatically improved, my legs are strong, and my endurance is improving by the week. Mentally, though, I’m struggling to find my motivation and I’m not sure why. I have so much to run for, but when I don’t feel well and the weather is less than desirable, my first instinct is not to lace up my shoes and power through, but to hit the couch and watch ESPN.

I will break out of this rut; I always have in similar situations in the past. I just need to find my groove again. A week of decent weather and good health would help, but irrespective, with less than 50 days to go until the big race, the fact that I will soon be running 26.2 miles is motivation enough.

1 comment:

Marci said...

Truthfully... the weather hasn't been near decent enough to run outside. Too bad you are away this weekend... highs in the 60s :)